Call me crazy, but I think everyone should be a “prepper” in one form or another. “Prepping” simply means preparing for something, and I’m sure everyone will agree on how logical and ideal this virtue is.
It’s the “for something” part, however, that often results in snickers and raised-eyebrows… for herein, in this wide-ranging expanse of possibilities, is found the domain of the “crackpots.”
Preparing… prepping for your old age. Normal. Prepping for an asteroid slamming into the Earth. Not so normal.
Prepping for global financial collapse. Plausible. Prepping for the rise of Zombies. Crackpot-level ka-praningan.
You get the general idea.
I wanna be a Prepper; but of the non-crackpot variety. For example, I think preparing for effects of the following events can, arguably, be considered logical:
- The eventual drying-out of the Oil Supply.
- The rise of global water levels.
- Worsening natural disasters brought about by Climate Change.
- Social strife due to economic hardships
Preparing for the following events, on the other hand, is definitely already within the “crackpot” category for me. Granted, they are not totally impossible, they are so improbable that they might as well be:
- Nuclear/Chemical/Biological War
- Global Pandemic
- “Extinction-level” asteroid impacts
- Sudden, global financial meltdowns
- The Apocalypse, in the biblical sense
Kayo? What are you “prepping” for? 🙂